Wednesday, July 9, 2008

24 hours in - and it hurts

Tuesday: Rock-climbing, 2 hours
Wednesday: 8 miles, uphill - approximately 45 minutes

As I was explaining to a friend of mine this morning, why yes, I am in fact a rockstar.

So far the kickoff into Retraining-The-Tri-2008 is going very well. Last night I went climbing and that was tons of fun and I think I got a good work out. I didn't fall so I guess the arguement could be made that I wasn't pushing myself hard enough -- on the other hand - all my muscles were shaking when I got to the top, so it wasn't exactly a cakewalk. I ate a cliffbar for dinner (delicious), went home, inhaled toast and fell into bed for 8.5 hours.

Then this morning I woke up and hopped on my bike and rode to work - down rockcreek park and up the Curtis trail. It was *amazing*. And when I say "amazing" what I mean is brutal, hard and uphill in 80-degree weather. And I am really really out of shape. Not as bad as when I did it last fall after doing nothing for months and ended up having to sit down on the side of the trail and breathe so I didn't throw up. But in that same range of pain. I think I could whittle it down to a half an hour ride - I'm trying to find the best way to get to the trail without hitting stoplights or running over pedestrians. Oh, or being run over by trucks. If I could get a straight ride and was strong enough to push the whole way, I think it would be pretty fast.

Hitting the pool tonight with E. Hopefully it wouldn't be a total diaster. I am crossing my fingers because although I feel pretty confident that I can get through a 3 mile run and a 20 mile bike -- not gracefully, but through, without crawling, I don't feel that confident about my ability to swim 900 meters before doing all the rest of it. There are may flip turns in my future. I can feel it coming.

Reports to follow.

No comments: