Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Guilt. The Panic.

Well, well. Hello July.

Last night I got "the talk" from a friend of mine. I didn't enjoy it, but I acknowledge that someone had to throw some ice water over this delusion I have that I can run a triathlon without embarassing myself... or training for it. Basically I've been hiding under the bed since I got hurt, hoping that by ignoring the summer I could make August go away. So far, no luck. So now July has showed up like annoying dinner guests, fifteen minutes early when you're still trying to lay crackers out on a plate and you haven't straightened up the house. But I just have suck it up and cope.

So this is me packing my bags from my vacation of not coping.

Today. July 8th, 2008: I went to the gym. And let me tell you, my friends, it was a whole lot more fun then I thought it would be. I'm still really sensitive to the knee, so I did a 10 minute warm-up on the bike and started my run pyramids, which my PT gave me back in - whatever - I don't want to talk about when it was.

So I built - 5 minutes walking; 1 minute run. 5 walk, 2 run; 5 walk, 1 run. Then I cooled down and stretched all the leg muscles and did my foam roller (can I just spare a minute to say, "I HATE THE FOAM ROLLER").

Among other things I'd like to report the following. A) I resent that I feel fabulous right now B) Back in the day when I was doing this, I was damn impressive. My gym bag is so well organized that I feel like I should photograph it - after I dusted it off, C) My heart rate monitor is dead. Go figure.

Here's my plan for the rest of the week:

Tuesday: baby run - rockclimbing
Wednesday: bike leisurely to work/swim workout
Thursday: baby run/yoga
Friday: Bike
Saturday: (In NYC w/ JJ) Swim/Rockclimb
Sunday: baby run
Monday: Bike home from work

Then we will reassess where we are with everything and see if I can turn the baby run into a toodler-like run. I have to stay uninjured. But I also seriously need to reorganize my priorities and get this race together. I feel like since the race is pretty small I might let rockclimbing stand in for my weight training. Between rockclimbing and yoga I feel like I'm probably going to get more tones then I would if I was chaining myself to the handweights anyway - and hey, it's more fun.

No comments: